Friday, October 14, 2016

Molly is looking for a YA/MG intern - CLOSED

I’m looking for another intern to read young adult and middle-grade fiction for me. It’s a remote, unpaid position, and the expectation is that my interns read and report on a manuscript every two weeks. You don’t necessarily have to have any publishing experience; I’m looking for a smart person who loves to read, and whose taste is similar to mine (i.e., literary-commercial, with an emphasis on the literary). 

You should be familiar with all sorts of YA/MG fiction, particularly recent award-winners and New York Times bestsellers; even better if you’re a fan of writers like Katherine Rundell, John Corey Whaley, Stephanie Kuehn, Margo Lanagan, Jack Gantos, Marie Rutkoski, Naomi Novik, Jacqueline Woodson, E Lockhart, Gene Luen Yang, Libba Bray…and, of course, my own clients.

It’s important to me to have a wide range of perspectives on my intern team, so I especially welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds.

While this internship is unpaid, TBA values our interns' contributions, and holds regular intern Q&A sessions with our agents on a variety of industry topics. And in between those events, I answer as many questions about the publishing process that I can. I ask for a six-month commitment, but most of my interns have ended up sticking around for a year or more—I'm not all that demanding, and I try to make it enjoyable. Several of my interns have gone on to full-time entry-level roles at major publishers.

To apply, please email me at mollysinterns at gmail.com and tell me the last ten books you read, as well your ten favorite books (children's, YA, or adult). Tell me a little about yourself, too, and why you’re interested in the internship. Send a resume/CV if you think it would be helpful, but it's not strictly necessary. Bear in mind that with the Frankfurt Book Fair looming next week, I likely won't start responding to applications till the week of 24th October.

Thanks!

Molly

Update 28 Oct 2016: I am no longer accepting applications for this role. I received over 60 applications (thank you!) and am contacting applicants individually now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment